Footnotes for Personal Income by Major Source and Earnings by Industry
- The estimates of earnings for 1969-74 are based on the 1967
Standard Industrial classification (SIC). The estimates for
197587 are based on the 1972 SIC. the estimates for 198898 are
based on the 1987 SIC.
- Farm income consists of proprietors' income; the cash wages,
pay-in-kind, and other labor income of hired farm workers; and
the salaries of officers of corporate farms.
- Census Bureau midyear population estimates. Estimates for
1990-98 reflect county population estimates available as of March
2000 except for Prince George's and Montgomery, MD. A portion of
Takoma Park, MD was annexed from Prince George's County, MD to
Montgomery County, MD on March 1, 1997. The Census Bureau
adjusted their population estimates to reflect this annexation
back through 1990. The Prince George's MD and Montgomery, MD
population estimates for 199096 have been adjusted by BEA to
be consistent with BEA income estimates, which do not reflect the
- Personal contributions for social insurance are included in
earnings by type and industry but they are excluded from personal
- The adjustment for residence is the net inflow of the earnings of
interarea commuters. For the United States, it consists of
adjustments for border workers: Wage and salary disbursements to
U.S. residents commuting to Canada less wage and salary
disbursements to Canadian and Mexican residents commuting into
the United States.
- Rental income of persons includes the capital consumption
- Proprietors income includes the inventory valuation adjustment
and capital consumption adjustment.
- "Other" consists of wage and salary disbursements to U.S.
residents employed by international organizations and foreign
embassies and consulates in the United States.
- Under the 1972 SIC, ordnance was reclassified to four 2-digit
industries: Fabricated metal products, electronic and other
electric equipment, transportation equipment, and instruments and
- Under the 1987 SIC, combined real estate, insurance, etc., was
reclassified to four 2-digit industries: Nondepository credit
institutions; insurance agents, brokers, and services; real
estate; and legal services.
- "Social services" was first recognized under the 1972 SIC; so
estimates for 196974 do not exist.
- "Engineering and management services" was first recognized under
the 1987 SIC, so estimates for 196987 do not exist.
Regional Economic Information System
Bureau of Economic Analysis